Sunday, November 1, 2009

Finally, the First Warbler: Chateau Papillon Bird #53 (Yellow-rumped Warbler)

Although I'm sure the towering trees of Chateau Papillon's backyard and the county nature preserve behind us played host to several warblers during spring migration, neither Beth nor I spotted the elusive little neotropical migrants--and the few possible calls I heard weren't clear enough for me to identify with any certainty.

Finally, though, with the tail end (no pun intended) of fall migration passing with a long, dreary storm that's dumped several inches of rain on us, I confirmed our first warbler at the new home. Though he may be the most common warbler in eastern North America (if not the continent as a whole), the male Yellow-rumped (Myrtle subspecies) I saw in the branches of one of fall-bare trees was a welcome sight indeed. Now, if only the rain had given me a better shot at a photo...

No comments: