Thursday, August 7, 2008

Papillon Gothic


Darth Deedlit the Devious, aka Didi, is going to be incredibly displeased by our impending move back into an apartment while we work out a proper home purchase (more to come on this soon)--largely because she absolutely loves the back yard.

For some reason, this photo of Didi calls to mind for me the iconic Grant Wood painting, American Gothic, and thus I've titled it "Papillon Gothic." I guess there's something of Munch's The Scream to the image, too, though only in passing--and besides, that's a much less-pleasant comparison for a little Papillon.

It's certainly one of my favorite portraits of Didi (and believe me, there are quite a few from which to choose), and though far from unbiased, my wife Beth calls it her "favorite photograph, ever!"

I'll be sharing more photos--particularly of Didi and her half-brother Chançois, aka "Poop"--in the days to come.

Anyway, I thought I'd share it as a swan song of sorts, a requiem for the good times we spent at the Vienna home. I know Didi will be quite in mourning for the yard and her romps across it chasing her ball.

No comments: